Located on the north edge of Prairie City along Highway 117, Waveland Cemetery is the only city-owned cemetery in town. The cemetery grounds are mowed and maintained by Prairie City’s Public Works Department. To keep Waveland Cemetery looking its best, we ask that visitors abide by the following guidelines:
- Planting flowers, bushes, and trees is prohibited.
- No glass containers are allowed.
- Plastic solar lights are allowed when secured to the headstone or placed in the stone wash.
- Sheperd hooks placed in connecting stone wash (and items attached) will be considered permanent and allowed year around. Shepherd hooks not placed in the stone wash are only allowed from May 20th to June 5th.
- All funeral arrangements will be removed after 10 days.
- All floral arrangements without a vase that is attached to the foundation, or floral saddles, will be removed 3 weeks following Memorial Day.
- Blankets and wreaths are permissible after Thanksgiving and may remain until April 1st.
- Only military footstones are allowed and must be flush with the ground.
- Family members are asked to consider attaching military and organizational designation markers to the stone or permanently in the wash.
- Animals must be leashed at all times.
- Please note that all decorations will be removed from sites on April 1st and October 1st for spring and fall cleanup.
The cemetery opens at sunrise and closes 30 minutes after sunset. For questions, concerns, or general information regarding Waveland Cemetery, contact City Hall at 515-994-2649.