Prairie City contracts garbage collection through Waste Management. For questions, concerns, or to set up this service, contact City Hall at 515-994-2649.
- Collection day is Thursday.
- During holiday weeks, collection will be delayed one day.
- Prairie City provides one garbage cart to each residential customer.
- Customers have three container choices: 35-gallon, 64-gallon, and 96-gallon.
- Stickers for extra trash are available for $1 and can be purchased at City Hall and other local businesses.
- One bulk item (excluding appliances) can be left on the curb weekly for pickup when you notify City Hall in advance.
- Arrange appliance pickup through City Hall. Cost for pickup will vary based on the appliance.
- Products that say “toxic”. “flammable” or “keep out of reach of children”, as well as some other products, are considered hazardous and should not be thrown away with the rest of your garbage. Metro Waste Authority facilities dispose of these items in safe ways that protect residents and the environment. To find out if a specific item is hazardous, visit www.WhereItShouldGo.com/HHW or call 515-967-5512.
Prairie City offers recycling services through Metro Waste Authority’s Curb It! recycling program. Find more information about Curb It!, including cart placement guidelines, here.
Recycling pickup is scheduled for every other Thursday. For questions, to set up this service, or to report a missed collection contact City Hall at 515-994-2649.
Prairie City contracts yard waste removal through Waste Management. For questions, concerns, or to set up this service, contact City Hall at 515-994-2649.
- Collection day begins the first Thursday of April through November 30th.
- Place sticks, leaves, grass clippings, and garden waste in your brown yard waste tote. Place additional yard waste in a generic paper bag, garbage tote, or arrange in a tied bundle.
- Please use the yard waste collection site at the Wastewater Treatment Facility only when absolutely necessary. When using the Wastewater Treatment site, please place yard waste all the way into the roll off. Branches should be no more than 4 inches in diameter.
- Curbside Christmas tree collection is available on scheduled days in January.