Prairie City contracts garbage collection through Waste Management. For questions, concerns, or to set up this service, contact City Hall at 515-994-2649.
- Collection day is Thursday.
- During holiday weeks, collection will be delayed one day.
- Prairie City provides one garbage cart to each residential customer.
- Customers have three container choices: 35-gallon, 64-gallon, and 96-gallon.
- Stickers for extra trash are available for $1 and can be purchased at City Hall and other local businesses.
- One bulk item (excluding appliances) can be left on the curb weekly for pickup.
- Arrange appliance and e-waste pickup through City Hall when you purchase your stickers for those items.
Prairie City offers recycling services through Metro Waste Authority’s Curb It! recycling program. Find more information about Curb It!, including cart placement guidelines, here.
Recycling pickup is scheduled for every other Wednesday. For questions, to set up this service, or to report a missed collection contact City Hall at 515-994-2649.
Prairie City contracts yard waste removal through Waste Management. For questions, concerns, or to set up this service, contact City Hall at 515-994-2649.
- Collection day is every Thursday from April 1st to November 30th.
- Place sticks, leaves, grass clippings, and garden waste in your brown yard waste tote. Place additional yard waste in a generic paper bag, garbage tote, or arrange in a tied bundle.
- Please use the yard waste collection site at the Wastewater Treatment Facility only when absolutely necessary. When using the Wastewater Treatment site, please place yard waste all the way into the roll off.
- Curbside Christmas tree collection is available on scheduled days in January.